The Centro per l'Arte Contemporanea Luigi Pecci is the first Italian institution which has been built from scratch to present, collect, document and promote the most advanced artistic research. Since its opening in 1988, it has produced a vast number of exhibitions and educational schemes, carried out activities of contemporary art documentation, and hosted numerous theatrical and multimedia events. It has built up a collection of over 1000 works which map artistic trends from the ‘sixties up to the present day: painting, sculpture, cinema and video, installations, works on paper, artist books, photographs, graphic art, applied arts and commissioned projects.
In 2016 the Centro Pecci reopens after the completion of the futuristic spaceship-shaped extension by the Rotterdam-based Indonesian architect Maurice Nio, and the renovation of the original building designed by the Rationalist architect Italo Gamberini.
Today, in addition to approximately 3000m2 of exhibition spaces, the complex hosts the CID/Visual Arts archive and specialized library, with its heritage of 60,000 or so books and other items; the cinema– auditorium; the bookshop; the restaurant and the bistro; the open-air theatre.