at the National Central Library of Florence
Project curated by Stefano Pezzato
The second meeting of the prologue to the inaugural exhibition The End of the World, launched one month before the Grand Opening. An important framework of collaborations which presents some emblematic works from the collection in prestigious institutional centres of the region.
On the occasion of the “European Heritage Days”, the work of Remo Salvadori, Stella (1998), will be on display at the National Library of Florence. The work was created for the occasion of the collective exhibition by the Pecci Centre in celebration of its first ten years of activity, 10 Intensità in Europa (10 Intensities in Europe) 1998, curated by Bruno Cora.
The National Central Library of Florence, given special autonomy from 2008, originates from the private library of Antonio Magliabechi and in 1714 was left “for the universal benefit of the city of Florence". It was combined by the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo with the Biblioteca Palatina and was then established as the National Library of the new Kingdom of Italy in 1861. The present Neo-Renaissance style building, connected to the monumental complex of Santa Croce, began construction in 1911 under the architect Cesare Bazzani and was inaugurated in 1935 by King Vittorio Emanuele III. It was later enlarged by the architect Vincenzo Mazzei.
The "hall of catalogues" is in the rationalist style, with chrome finishes and furnishings, on a predominantly white marble floor. Since December 1999 it has served as the digital area and that of information services which allows for the management of services, online consultation, internet browsing and the reading of library materials, in addition to the consultation of every catalogue and print in the library.
Geografie dell'arte emergente in Toscana
Piazza dei Cavalleggeri, 1, 50122 Firenze, Italia
Fondazione per le Arti Contemporanee in Toscana, Prato
September 24, 2016